Site Engineer Job at Shell in Bengaluru, Karnataka
Shell began operations in India more than 80 years ago. At Shell India, we invest in our people through our industry-leading development programme, which sees our employees thrive and gain access to experts on a local and global level. The Shell Technology Centre Bangalore, STCB, is one of the three global hubs for technology in the P&T business of Royal Dutch Shell. In addition, we supply crude, chemicals and technology to public and private sector oil companies, and our Chennai Business Centre provides a wide range of finance, accounting and business services to Shell globally.
Purpose and Accountabilities:
The candidate will be responsible for various mechanical activities for a 24×7 operating facility, which is a multi-user research and development center at STCB. Must ensure excellence in process safety, reliability, energy optimization and cost management. He will be reporting to the Site operations manager; this role requires visible safety leadership and focused effort in integrating maintenance principles and practices from one Asset Management System (AMS) to deliver top quartile integrity/reliability of the STCB equipment and systems in cost efficient manner and with partner centricity mindset. The Mechanical Engineer provides daily stewardship for the co-ordination, scheduling, execution and communications of all maintenance and inspection activities within the STCB. Success is measured as achieving and sustaining and maintaining high equipment availability and reliability at top quartile cost efficiency.
The day to day responsibilities is mentioned below for safe operation & maintenance of hydrocarbon assets at STCB site:
- The preparation, scheduling, co-ordination and execution of all maintenance activities for hydrocarbon assets (e.g., Exhaust system, Gas distribution system, Vent gas burner, Thermic fluid heater, Nitrogen and Hydrogen compressor, Hydrogen Generator and General Lab, EPP, Demo & Balance of plant interface maintenance support services).
- Be accountable for execution of maintenance with required safety systems (e.g., Lock Out and Tag Out, engineering controls, administrative controls, portable and fixed gas detection systems etc)
- Develop and implement periodic Inspection plan as applicable for all equipment’s.
- Be the custodian of processes for mechanical equipment appraisals with inspections in line with Site HSSE & SP (Health, Safety, Security, Environment and Social Performance) Management Systems
- Leverage technical expertise to identify alternate vendors for annual maintenance contracts, service contracts and procurement of equipment and piping.
- Track key performance indicators of contractors
- Be responsible for developing and implementing asset tracking practices and documentation in an SEZ-EPCG environment.
- Ensure that Site operational costs are monitored.
- To ensure ongoing development, training & competence of the maintenance team.
- To ensure the continuous review, update and improvement of STCB Planned maintenance through application of the relevant OE one AMS Principles, Risk & Reliability Management (RRM) tools.
- To implement and manage relevant Annual Maintenance Contracts.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining the integrated activity plan / asset reference plan, implement the continuous improvement plan and develop and maintain the Mitigation Threat to Availability / Opportunity for hydrocarbon assets in the STCB site.
- Ensure that plant specific maintenance procedures are maintained to reflect current as-built status, best practice and are in compliance with Shell Codes of Practice and Operating Standards. Development of new procedures to consider changes in plant, organization and standards.
- To review and manage the OPEX and CAPEX expenditure on a monthly basis and to account for any variance from budget.
- Carry out / Support any incident investigations assigned in Fountain/Care Tool/ Interventions/SWAT Observations/ any internal and External audit findings promptly and complete all actions assigned within the agreed time frame.
- As required, contribute to preliminary review of all new plant/equipment prior to final completion and handover and acceptance from Engineering.
- To ensure all the shutdown activity are planned and executed.
- As a member of the Site Emergency Response Team, train and attend site as the Site Main Controller for chemical and gas incidents and Coordinate the response to Emergency situations.
It is an expectation that the person who obtains this position should work towards following:
- Perform proactive technical monitoring to understand process unit performance, troubleshoot operating issues, and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Provide technical assurance to ensure the process units operate within established limits (ESP).
- Identify threats to meeting the production plan and business objectives and develop and implement plans to mitigate these threats (MTA).
- Utilize sound Causal Learning methods for problem solving and determining root and contributing causes to unit upsets and reliability events.
- Lead and participate in management of change to ensure robust Process Safety Management for changes to be implemented and act as approver for mechanical discipline.
- Participate in Process Hazard Analyses to identify and assess Process Safety threats and develop recommendations to mitigate these threats.
- Perform safeguarding evaluations to ensure proper protection against equipment overpressure and failure scenarios.
- Identify opportunities for Energy improvements and drive changes to capture these opportunities.
- Provide process engineering support to TA Planning and Execution to ensure Reliability and TA objectives are met.
- Prepare the Integrated Activity planning (IAP) / Asset Reference plan (ARP) and monitoring it on the monthly basis.
- Be the champion for CI initiatives using six sigma methodology and simplify things through LEAN initiatives as a LEAN practitioner.
- Provide technical sign off as TA-3
Supports site operations manager in the planning and execution of all maintenance activities in the area of responsibility, including development of plans and identification of material and support service requirements. Focus on coordination of safe execution of work scope by Shell staff and multi-disciplinary maintenance service contractors, ensuring effective work execution in accordance with AMS principles. Special Challenges; Driving execution efficiency through Norms implementation in own and Contractor Partner teams. Building overall team competency, and Productivity.
HSSE Responsibilities Provide assurance after major overhaul of equipment Management of change Visible leadership Accountabilities Provide assurance and handover of equipment after major overhaul liaising with multi-discipline interfaces – right first-time maintenance Optimization of preventive maintenance Ownership of mechanical static and rotating maintenance strategy including translation to staff Ambassador of AMS, MEC and ESP Local authority and budget holder for route A modifications Provide and verify in house engineering solutions Up-skilling of maintenance teams, providing training solutions, on the job training and verification
Skills and Requirements:
Qualification B.E/B.Tech or Master in Mechanical Engineering with 12 plus years of experience within the oil and gas Research and Development and petroleum industry.
Must be self-motivated, have good leadership, communication, interpersonal, networking, stakeholder management and influencing skills, a high degree of self-reliance with appropriate technical skills, to ensure prompt responses are made based on mature technical judgement.
Flexibility to adapt to constant change is essential to enable the incumbent to work in a highly motivated and empowered environment.
Proven ability to deliver results through others and manage performance.
Strong service delivery and result oriented mindset.
Energy and enthusiasm are essential.
As the person who confirms quality assurance, this person is expected to be highly respected and competent in the various disciplines, recognising the strengths of individuals in his team.
Shell began operations in India more than 80 years ago. At Shell India, we invest in our people through our industry-leading development programme, which sees our employees thrive and gain access to experts on a local and global level. To date, we have invested more than US$ 1 billion already in India’s energy sector alone in socially and environmentally responsible ways. It is the only global major to have a fuel retail license in India. The Shell Technology Centre Bangalore, STCB, is one of the three global hubs for technology in the Projects & Technology business of Royal Dutch Shell. In addition, we supply crude, chemicals and technology to public and private sector oil companies, and our Chennai Business Centre provides a wide range of finance, accounting and business services to Shell globally.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Company Location: Bengaluru, Karnataka